Sunday, July 12, 2009

Just riding a bit further

Kao's last post features pictures she took while visiting the Bicycle Culture Center in Tokyo. They had an exhibition of old bikes, like the Celerifere which is technically, not even a bicycle, but more like its predecessor. I really like that these bikes seem like pure manifestations of their designers ideas. The last picture features the Dursley Pedersen which is claimed to be the most comfortable bicycle in the world. I've never seen one in person, but they are supposedly still being made. I'd love to ride it sometime. Maybe Clever Cycles could import them!?



On Saturday, I went on another long ride. This time a little more in the South East direction, to the Powell Butte Nature Park. That is the satellite picture of the park above. As you can see, it's not a very woodsy place. If I'd seen this before I left, I might have thought twice about going there, but I didn't and so I went. On the way was mostly more of the same sprawling development, but there were some patches of the road which felt more back country like.

Powell Butte Nature Park

I eventually made it there after getting lost a couple of times. I had to climb a super steep road at the end and this was the view I saw. It seemed that most people go there by car and then they walk or bike (on mountain bikes) on the trails within the park. I was quite tired already from the ride and the steep climb, so I didn't bother going on the trails.

Powell Butte Nature Park

I could've done without the cars, but the view was pretty nice.

Powell Butte Nature Park

I took a break with some snacks and coffee. A thermos of coffee does weigh the bike down, but it's worth it for a moment like this.

Powell Butte Nature Park

Then I rode down the hill I climbed and made my way home. I'm a lot more timid about going down steep hills than I used to be. I always wonder if people with fixed gear bikes could ride down these kinds of descents. It's scary enough with brakes and freewheel, I can't imagine going down them with fixed gear.

I stopped on the way home to buy some groceries. I would've never done such a thing in my racing days. Back then, I tried to carry as little stuff as possible. Stopping during a ride to do something completely unrelated would have been unthinkable. But now, I don't think I need to differentiate between these different activities. Going on a long ride is just going on a longer ride than usual, so things I do normally like buying food makes perfect sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment